Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Edun Fall 2011: Is This My Fashion Future?



The thing about holistic/sustainable/green/eco/(etc) living is that it's a slippery slope. Once you start doing your research you find such an enormous wealth of knowledge that you simply can't ignore. When I go to the grocery store or restaurant now all of my choices are informed by the things I've learned about food and nutrition. Even if I make a "bad" choice - I'm doing it will full knowledge of what the repercussions might be.

Well this state of being conscious about choices extends (eventually) to everything you do. This, of course, includes your fashion choices. It's sort of a sensitive subject for me, really. Fashion has historically been a weakness of mine. I love it and have been known to indulge. It's also how I make a living. But I can't ignore my increasing discomfort with the wastefulness and decadence of the mainstream industry.
There are a few things I'm doing to try to reconcile this apparent conflict of interest & one of them is to seek out fashion labels that create clothing with materials and methods that leave my conscious feeling light. Edun - started by U2 rockstar Bono and his wife - might be one of those. See a few highlights from the brand's Fall 2011 runway show. Photos: style.com



Edun's Mission:
At Edun we believe style should have substance. We were founded on a commitment to develop trade with Africa and to encourage others to do the same. As a global fashion business we source internationally but as we grow, so does our work in Africa. Edun requires every factory to be audited by a third party on a biannual basis to ensure they follow our code of conduct. Edun stands by the quality of our products made in Africa and are actively working towards increasing our capacity there. Our Edun Live blank tee shirt business is solely in Africa and we are committed to expanding production of our Edun fashion line there every year.

More at Edun.com

No comments:

Post a Comment