Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Good Hair, Bad Hair


Contrary to selective cultural opinion the only "bad" hair is unhealthy hair. Above are the ends of two twists from the same head of hair (mine). The "good" hair on top is lustrous, bouncy, and curls all the way to the tip. It's sad little neighbor, however, is dry and dull-looking and doesn't even attempt to curl up. Somehow, both of these ended up on my head at the same time. I would say they've received the same treatment, but since I don't have a history of paying much attention to my hair I can't vouch for that. The top one comes from closer to the back of my head, while the one on bottom is from right near my face. My only guess is that that hair takes more stress at the tips from ponytail holders.

I got a much needed hair cut recently that took all the bad and, unfortunately, some of the good with it. I was disappointed to have to lose the length, but I'll always go with quality over quantity. Plus, I'm happy to have a nice even foundation to begin my hair care journey. I've been natural since 2000, but have gone through many cuts and dyes and just general hair neglect. This is truly the first time in my life that I'm paying attention to taking care of my hair for maximum goodness (health). When I was younger it seemed I could grow long shiny hair easily, but in the last few years my hair has taken longer to grow (or just breaks off more) and isn't as shiny. It's time to take a look at how I can get things back on track and make sure ALL the hairs on my head are good.

For those of you that want a little musical theatre insight on the good hair / bad hair phenomenon in black culture, see the video below. Classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment