Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Taco Tuesday!



Feast your eyes on my awesome dinner from today - and I assure you the pictures don't do it justice! I'm a big fan of simple and an even bigger fan of delicious and these tacos were both :) Here a quick ingredients list, with some notes about my choices.

  • Food for Life sprouted corn tortillas: Sprouting grains allows the human body to better assimilate the protein and fiber in a whole grain. They are easier to digest then their unsprouted, processed (flour - even the whole grain variety) counterparts and have higher vitamin and mineral content. The sprouting process also decreases the carbohydrate and calorie content of a grain.The ingredients list of this product is so wonderfully elegant: organic sprouted corn, filtered water, sea salt, lime.
  • Green lettuce
  • Red onions
  • Boca Meatless Crumbles: I probably won't be purchasing this product again for a few reasons. First, I'm cutting back (or cutting out) my consumption of soy-based meat substitutes. Boca, at least refrains from using GMO soy, but over-consumption of even organic soy can throw your hormones out of whack. More importantly, though, is the fact that the ingredients include "yeast extract" - a commonly used disguise for MSG.
  • Avocado
  • Frog Ranch hot salsa: Yummy and almost as fresh tasting as if I'd made my own salsa. Which is especially remarkable considering it's simple, preservative-free ingredients list (tomates, peppers, onions, parsley).
  • Organic Valley raw goat milk cheddar cheese: I'm actually working on eliminating dairly altogether from my diet. I haven't drank cow's milk in years, but I do still love "real" ice cream and cheese is a huge weakness of mine. I don't care much for soy versions of these items + see my above stance on eating soy... One of my interim solutions is to look for goat's milk products. For a number of reasons goat's is easier for the human body to digest, is less allergenic, and has less lactose. It also has more calcium, more B vitamins and a ton more potassium and niacin. So why the raw? Raw just means that a product has not been through the pasteurization process. But don't be alarmed! On a whole this process has been touted as being far more important than it really is and  what's worse it kills most of the nutrients and the flavor of foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment