Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Balancing Act: High Fashion, Low Cost



Though I've become a little disillusioned with the pop fashion industry, I am still and true fashion lover at heart. I believe in the value of dressing well, but not if it's going to cause financial havoc. Binge buying fashion isn't any better than binge eating or abusing drugs. Even if I were a millionaire, I wouldn't spend ridiculous amounts of cash on trendy items... at least that's my belief in theory. I welcome the opportunity for my resolve to be tested though :) For now, in order to stock my wardrobe with high quality items and still maintain a balanced bank account I've got to be a bargain hunting, smart shopper.


One of my (not so) secret weapons to this end has been eBay, but the mega-commerce site is no longer alone in the online auction racket. One of the newbie sites, I-Ella.com caught my attention weeks ago with an intriguing format that makes charitable giving an inherent part of the shopping experience. The site is clearly still gaining momentum, because I regularly spot amazing deals that just sit for days. I won the above dress by Rachel Roy in an auction where no one else even bid! Amazing, considering that I paid less than 20% of the retail price for the item. The dress will fulfill a too-long empty staple slot in my wardrobe: the LBD (little black dress). The style is such that it's not going to look dated a year from now and I can wear in looks that are anywhere from casual to semi-formal, so it can get a lot of use. Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment