Monday, April 4, 2011

Balance Beauty Birthday!

31. Wow. I could of sworn I just turned 21 a couple years ago. Yet here I am: officially thirty-something.

I can't remember what I did for my 21st birthday, but I can remember what I wanted, roughly. If I'd treated myself, it probably would have been to some new shoes, a handbag, or some clothes. The celebration portion would, I'm guessing, have involved a club and too much alcohol. A decade later, things are a little different...

I did go on a shopping spree for my birthday this year, but instead of bags & baubles I came home with heaps of beautifully plump & delicious produce. And what you see below is only the fruit! In the refrigerator kale, spinach, chard, fennel, celery, carrots, cucumbers, basil & more are piled up in all their chlorophyll-filled glory.




This year (and each one from now on, I hope) I'm giving myself the gift of a balanced body, and in pursuit of that I'm on a juice fast (feast) for 10 days. During this period my only meals with be the fresh juice of aforementioned fruits & vegetables. While weight loss is inevitable on a liquid eating plan like this, the end game is really about detoxification. When you stop eating solid foods your body get a rest from toilsome digesting we put it through. And while it's on a break nutrients from the green veggies, especially, can come through and give your cells a good cleaning out. I've done fasts before (master cleanse), but this one feels so much better. My skin is glowing and I feel very energized. I'm currently on Day 4 the Raw Radiant Health juice fast program, which includes a very helpful forum, daily videos, and questions answered by raw food guru Natasha St. Michael.

And there's more! I've also treated myself this year to some supplies for making my own bath & body products. Since, as I've mentioned before, what you put on your body is every bit as important as what you put in it, I felt it was important to make sure I'm not re-toxifying myself by slathering dangerous chemicals all over me. It's been a blast experimenting with making body butters and hair tonics. Stay tuned for my reviews & results!

No comments:

Post a Comment